Small Claims Court

Small claims court is designated to settle legal issues and problems from contractual disputes, service disputes and other claims of debt. A small claims case allows an individual or business to be compensated by a party who has not performed according to an agreement or who has committed some wrongdoing. Small claims are only applicable for monetary issues.


The forms you will need to have when filing a small claims case are:
  • Affidavit and Summons
  • Contract (if applicable)
  • Military Service Affidavit
The affidavit and summons must be served within 120 days of filing. A return of service must be filed with the court within 10 days of service. There is a fee for the service, a list of process servers is available at the court for you.

Filing Fees - Claims

Amount Filing Fee
$2,000 or Less
$2,001 - $7,499
$7,500 - $15,000

Filing Fees - Counter Claims

Amount Filing Fee
$2,000 of Less
$2,001 - $7,499
$7,500 - $15,000

File an Appeal

If you wish to file an appeal, the cost is $250 total. $10 is paid to the Ogden City Justice Court for processing, the balance of $240 is payable to Second District Court.

Additional Information

More information, including downloadable forms and answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the Utah Courts website.