Historic Preservation

image of logo for the ogden city landmarks commisssion

HISTORIC PROPERTIES SCAVENGER HUNT 

Preserving the Past to Make the Future


History of Ogden

The first settlement in Ogden was in 1846 by Trapper Miles Goodyear at a trading post named Fort Buenaventura. It was purchased in 1847 by Mormon settlers and renamed "Brownsville."

The name was later changed to Ogden, named after Peter Skene Ogden from the Hudson Bay Fur Trapping Company. When the railroad arrived in 1869, Ogden became the "junction" of the railroad lines because passengers had to switch trains in Ogden in order to continue their journey.